Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The Query Letter

Old book bindings at the Merton College library.Image via Wikipedia I'm happy to announce that as of July 29th, 2010 I have officially completed my first novel! Utilizing the research and guidelines I outlined on this blog, I was actually able to plan and complete writing a book that I am really proud of.Now, a new phase of this journey has begun, and I am learning the next steps right along with you.

After completing a manuscript, there are two key goals a writer should set. The first of these involves creating a Query Letter. The query letter is a key tool in the new writer's toolbox and is VERY important. Query letters are crafted and sent to potential agencies or publishers with the goal of garnering interest in your manuscript. A successful query letter will result in a positive response from either an agent or a publisher.

The route that most often leads to success for new writers is contacting an agency,or a several,finding representation in that way,and allowing them to navigate the industry on the writer's behalf. This isn't always the case, and in some instances, personal connections are more beneficial. Assuming that, like me, your literary connections are few and far between, the next series of posts will outline some of the best methods for creating query letters and submitting them to agencies.
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share This

ShareThis